Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick
(07-04-2019, 06:17 PM)Simicro Wrote: Unfortunately I do not know other PUSH pedals than the VKB Sim.

I've sent another PM on the DCS forum to the guy who sold me the modded CH/MSFF2. Maybe he is on vacation. I'll inform you as soon as I get a reply from him.

Hi Sim,
I take it that you haven't gotten a reply back yet?

I'm curious about the stick. Have you ever opened it up to look at the mods from the inside? I'm guessing the modder took the CH stick's wire harness and ran it through the MS' hollow stick and connected it to the CH boards. I assume he mounted the CH boards inside by double sided tape (like CH uses)the MS base and created a 2nd opening for the usb?

Could you post some more pictures of your stick from different angles? I know the optics, which tells the MS stick that your hand is in position, are below the trigger and above the hand rest if you look. I'd like to get some pics from the front where the trigger is located, please.

Any help is appreciated.

HB
Hi HB,

Indeed, sorry I have not had news from the guy after 2 emails. I prefer to not open my device as long as it is working correctly. And you are correct for the 2nd opening for the USB. Here are a couple of pictures in a zip file. Hope it helps.

Attached Files
.zip   modded-msff2.zip (Size: 8.23 MB / Downloads: 3)

(07-11-2019, 03:25 PM)Simicro Wrote: Hi HB,

Indeed, sorry I have not had news from the guy after 2 emails. I prefer to not open my device as long as it is working correctly. And you are correct for the 2nd opening for the USB. Here are a couple of pictures in a zip file. Hope it helps.
:) I don't blame you for not opening the stick. I get myself into trouble many times taking things apart trying to figure the thing out.

Just a couple of quick questions:
1. Your force feedback is fully functional with return to center once your grip the stick? I didn't see any holes in the front portion of the handle of the CH stick which would hold the optical sensors from the MSffb. I was thinking that there should be a couple of holes drilled in the handle to fit the sensors. On the MSffb, the tiny holes are found just under the top portion of the grip yet below the trigger, while the bottom sensor would be where your pinky would lay while gripping the stick.

I plan on doing some exploratory surgery on my stick probably tomorrow. I'm thinking the toughest part is going to be threading the CH cable through opening in the ball joint since there may not be enough room with the existing MS ribbon cable found in the same location.

I'll take pictures along the way just in case I get stuck and your contact replies.  It's going to be an adventure, lol.

HB
Hello,

Yes my force feedback is fully functional with return to center once I grip the stick.

For the sensors, I confess that I've never paid attention to that...

I would like to say that what you are about to do is probably very challenging because there is not much space in the MSFF2 for 2 controllers/chips/wires, etc. So I guess that if you do not have a certain manual ability there is a high risk of doing some damage. I'm not a tinkering/DYI guy but please be very careful in your exploratory surgery and future decisions.

(07-12-2019, 09:14 AM)Simicro Wrote: Hello,

Yes my force feedback is fully functional with return to center once I grip the stick.

For the sensors, I confess that I've never paid attention to that...

I would like to say that what you are about to do is probably very challenging because there is not much space in the MSFF2 for 2 controllers/chips/wires, etc. So I guess that if you do not have a certain manual ability there is a high risk of doing some damage. I'm not a tinkering/DYI guy but please be very careful in your exploratory surgery and future decisions.
Hey Sim,
I decided to do a dual USB solution. This allows me to avoid any complications from trying to the teensy board or soldering. I'll have to plug in both USBs to get the stick to work as expected. I also expect IL2 BoX to see 2 controllers for this one stick.

I took both sticks apart to see what I need to do. Surprisingly, it was very easy to disassemble both sticks.

I pulled the connector from the MS board that is for the stick. I then pulled each the pins from the connector that controlled the hat & 3 buttons and split the ribbon cable so I only had the portion that controlled the twist & optics. I then unpinned the 4 wires from the controller block. This allowed me to pull the ribbon wire through the stick's post. I saved the button board & wires for future use.

I disassembled the base of the CH stick and removed the base control board. I then disconnected the control blocks that were assigned to the trims. This left me with just the control block which controlled the actual stick. I had to unpin the wires from the block and pulled the wires through the CH post.

I took the CH wires and guided them through the MS post as a test...no problem. So, I'm only left with modding the stick physically now. I'll need to trim some of the CH's internals so it fits around the MS post, but I'm heading in the right direction, I believe.

I'll send you more details when I get done.
Hello EB,

I'm glad you are progressing in the good way. Be careful not to break your valuable hardware. Please do not loose time sending me details because I am not a DIY/tinkering guy. However I will be happy to be informed when you achieve your goal.